Well Fed Neighbor

Local Food. Local Jobs.

Let's get Community Gardens planted in every Neighborhood! Let us know if you have a plot of land available or would like to be involved in getting a garden started in your Community.

Benefits of Community Gardens:

* Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
* Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
* Stimulates Social Interaction
* Encourages Self-Reliance
* Beautifies Neighborhoods
* Produces Nutritious Food
* Reduces Family Food Budgets
* Conserves Resources
* Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
* Reduces Crime
* Preserves Green Space
* Creates income opportunities and economic development
* Reduces city heat from streets and parking lots
* Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections

Tags: Community, Family, Gardens, Neighborhood, food, green, space

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Abdo. It was great talking with you at the Sustainable Gardening meeting. Where did you locate the Cattle Panels? I'm thinking we have the perfect place for a hoop house in our back yard.

abdo soliman said:
Odery
I found the cattel panel. They cost $ 19. 8x 8 green house will cost about $ 60 .
Thanks Aubree and Abdo! I will keep you informed and will hopefully get things moving this week. Sorry I missed you guys at Gastro today. Looking forward to working with you.

Aubree Taylor said:
Hi Kristi, I'm right down the street from you as well. The 1000 Gardens Project is working with the Grant Beach Neighborhood and surrounding Neighborhoods to encourage the community to grow their own food for the health of their community, themselves and for the children. WE would love to help you get started and to find the resources to put in a Community Garden at Cox North. Let us know when and how we can help you get started.

Kristi Foster said:
Hey all! I'm a family medicine resident working up at Cox N (FMCC). I'm hoping to start up a community garden at Cox North Hospital. I believe that food is health. Myself and a few other docs are wanting to increase awareness and access to locally grown, healthy food especially for our patients, but also for the rest of the community in that area. What a message that would send if a hospital/clinic had a garden with healthy food! I think this is a particularly important area in that many of our patients have minimal resources. They would benefit in so many ways. The more I thought about this, the more I felt compelled to do this. This will be my first community garden, so any resources/advice/assistance would be so much appreciated.
I enjoyed the meeting and It fired me up, I need the company of good creative people otherwise I get very depressed. I was just thinking to build one, we are renting. So I thought my be odery like to have one, HONST, that is why I mad a rough calculation for 8x8 green house . the paneles are available at Arcshlan feed store in repablic about 20 mints from sunshine school. I will be happy to help

Aubree Taylor said:
Thanks Abdo. It was great talking with you at the Sustainable Gardening meeting. Where did you locate the Cattle Panels? I'm thinking we have the perfect place for a hoop house in our back yard.

abdo soliman said:
Odery
I found the cattel panel. They cost $ 19. 8x 8 green house will cost about $ 60 .
We are in the midst of trying to organize one at St.Johns Chapel UCC which is at 4344 S. Fremont. It is just in the planning stages but we have a large field behind the church which isn't used for anything right now. Our plan is to have those involved donate a percentage of their crop to a local food pantry. Any ideas appreciated we haven't even had our first commitee meeting yet.
why do not you come to TWFN, meeting every frieday at 10:00 am.
LeaAnnsaid:
We are in the midst of trying to organize one at St.Johns Chapel UCC which is at 4344 S. Fremont. It is just in the planning stages but we have a large field behind the church which isn't used for anything right now. Our plan is to have those involved donate a percentage of their crop to a local food pantry. Any ideas appreciated we haven't even had our first commitee meeting yet.
Hi Lee Ann, Abdo mentioned coming to the weekly Well Fed Neighbor meeting which is held every Friday, 10:00-12:00 at Springfield Seed on the SW corner of Chestnut Exp. in what was previously the Ozarks Food Harvest Building. There you can meet others that are focusing on Community Garden Projects and tell folks about your project. We hope that you can make it...if the time does not work our for you perhaps we can meet. I'm one of the Directors for the 1000 Gardens Project and we meet with as many people as possible to help them get started, find volunteers and resources. Feel free to send me an email at 1000gardensproject@gmail.com

abdo soliman said:
why do not you come to TWFN, meeting every frieday at 10:00 am.
LeaAnnsaid:
Aubree and Abdo, I would love to come some time. I'll see if I can arrange it around my work hours.
Willard Community Garden Project available. Willard's famous Stars 'n' Steeds Equestrian Drill Team has a very large area (several thousand sq ft) that is dedicated to a community garden project if someone could step up and lead the project with some volunteers. The area has been tilled and could be started immediately. There would need to be a plan for supervision and maintenance, watering, and appropriate gardening. This location is across the street South of the Willard City Park and very accessable. Watch the Drill team rehearse while you enjoy great gardening!

Come join others interested in this new project by attending the Natural Healing Arts Fair April 10th at Lamplighter Inn, North and support Galen's presentations at 11am and 4pm. Sign up to participate and share your support at the new Well Fed Neighbor booth "In the Garden of Life" or at "Stars 'n' Steeds Mounted Drill Team booth. Promote this event any way you can so we get this started now. Members comments welcomed. Contact Lou Ann Biggers at 417-848-6570. Event reference: www.energy-in-motion.biz
The Kitchen Community Garden is becoming a reality. We would love for you to be involved!
I have an allay garden behind my house started last year ( 11th st. and kumberue st.) my second garden on its way on the unitarian church ground, 2434 battlefield st., has a large allowing future expansion.
Hey there! I have a huge area at the front of my property I think would make a great garden, however, I've not gone beyond container gardening on my back deck. I believe there are about 2-acres cleared that I've kept mowed (thanks to my neighbor, Don), and I'm located in Highlandville. What is involved in creating a community garden? Pros and cons of a community garden?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ThePopp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service