Well Fed Neighbor

Local Food. Local Jobs.

This is a discussion to aid the WFNA's new "buy local" campaign designed to educate the public to the many economic benefits that result when we shop with local merchants! This forum will help spread the word, facilitate merchant to merchant promotion, and suport of the WFNA!
Bring It local Merchants and Consumers!

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruell, I think the most important thing you have touched upon, at the heart of it all,
is the restoration of our Ozark identity and purpose. We can no longer feed ourselves, true. And yes, we've succumbed to the "collective amnesia" of our times, by and large. But not quite so completely as in most other places. The WFNA "buy Local" campaign is smart, and Show Me people have a lot of reason to hope. We have a natural assets to work with, and people are waking up, bigtime! We can, and we must once again feed ourselves and make things of value. You are leading the charge! The word "sustainability" is defined all over the map, but here's the bottom line : The fate of every SW Missourian now depends upon restoring a regional food supply system- and independent local energy sources. We will feed ourselves and look out for our neighbors because its the right thing to do. Given the geopolitical realities of our times, this is the good fight of faith to which all are now called.
I've just sent a rave review of Well Fed Neighbor to 10 friends, some of whom are movers and shakers (one has a website, www.peakoilshrink.com ... I'll post a comment there with it. )

I recommend you go to www.chrismartenson.com and view the 45 minute version of the "Crash Course", and--of course, post your site in a New Topic in the Forum, General... You have to sign up as a member, but that's free and they don't spam you. Chris is a good friend of mine and a firebrand (brilliant too) about re-localizing, regaining control of our lives, communities, economy, money and maybe even, if we're very lucky, our government. I can't say enough good things about his work. I highly recommend the full version of the Crash Course (CC) (free online), and I believe that once you have seen it, you may want to consider re-wording your criteria for the kinds of members you welcome, in just one regard. "Growth-oriented." In the CC, Chris discusses the difference between prosperity and growth. There are crucial distinctions. Whether you agree or not, I think you'll find much you do agree with, communicated in a lucid, concise and enjoyable manner. Over a million people have viewed the Crash Course.

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, where there are a lot of beautiful farms, and used to be a lot MORE such farms. In both Harrisonburg and Staunton, two smallish cities (home to James Madison U in H, and Mary Baldwin College in S), they have started a Transition Town. Are you familiar with that "movement" (my word)? If not, check it out. www.transitionus.org . It's very big in the UK, and is spreading now in the USA. One of hopefully many approaches to re-localizing and rejuvenating our communities.

Thanks for writing back, and for all that you do.

Best,
Wendy Thomson (Gwendolyn)
Wendy,
I will do it. BTW, growth doesn't mean growth in the physical sense but i totally understand your meaning. I so appreciate your help, your referral and your kindness. I will take advantage of all. We are currently putting together the Well-Fed Neighbor Farmers' Coop allow for local food to efficiently and profitably go to market. Just so you know, we are doing everything in our power to shrink the size of our city and reultilze all valuable free land within it's boundries. We have just formed the WFNA 501c not for profit and are taking land ( to be used for the good of all) , contributions, etc. We want to become a land bank, a financing organization, a number of things to aid vets, and regular folk in getting a business operational. Local food is Local economy. Thank you SOOO much for your help and your referrals! That is so nice of you.

Wendy Thomson said:
I've just sent a rave review of Well Fed Neighbor to 10 friends, some of whom are movers and shakers (one has a website, www.peakoilshrink.com ... I'll post a comment there with it. )

I recommend you go to www.chrismartenson.com and view the 45 minute version of the "Crash Course", and--of course, post your site in a New Topic in the Forum, General... You have to sign up as a member, but that's free and they don't spam you. Chris is a good friend of mine and a firebrand (brilliant too) about re-localizing, regaining control of our lives, communities, economy, money and maybe even, if we're very lucky, our government. I can't say enough good things about his work. I highly recommend the full version of the Crash Course (CC) (free online), and I believe that once you have seen it, you may want to consider re-wording your criteria for the kinds of members you welcome, in just one regard. "Growth-oriented." In the CC, Chris discusses the difference between prosperity and growth. There are crucial distinctions. Whether you agree or not, I think you'll find much you do agree with, communicated in a lucid, concise and enjoyable manner. Over a million people have viewed the Crash Course.

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, where there are a lot of beautiful farms, and used to be a lot MORE such farms. In both Harrisonburg and Staunton, two smallish cities (home to James Madison U in H, and Mary Baldwin College in S), they have started a Transition Town. Are you familiar with that "movement" (my word)? If not, check it out. www.transitionus.org . It's very big in the UK, and is spreading now in the USA. One of hopefully many approaches to re-localizing and rejuvenating our communities.

Thanks for writing back, and for all that you do.

Best,
Wendy Thomson (Gwendolyn)
Hey my good friend! I am right there with you!

Hagan & Maxwell LLC said:
I would like to commend Ruell and Gavin for the fine work they are doing. This is a very worthwhile program that would greatly benefit the local economy in many ways.
Very sad news today: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tainted_eggs

That one enterprise can be responsible for 228 million eggs to be on the market at one time is the crux of many of the problems we have in the country today. How can you confine that many chickens in one place and not expect disease?

This may be the event that finally spurs me to get some chickens. We buy local eggs most of the time, but when the summer heat kicks in, the chickens don't lay enough for those who raise them to have extra to sell.

How about a stable local money to pay for the local food? Without money the food

is a moot point...

This  system has historical roots in scrip and alternative and local currencies that proliferated in America during the great depression.

http://www.ithacahours.com/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6550163702620657658

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Hours

Can you imagine the "Ozark Dollar"?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ThePopp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service