Well Fed Neighbor

Local Food. Local Jobs.

  We have an excellent location for a permanent farmers market here in Springfield at 1835 E. St. Louis St. just off Glensone..  It has 66 initial outdoor vendor spaces, 8 initial indoor vendor spaces, restrooms, and attached parking for 88 cars. We also have room to expand with 40 additional outdoor sapces and 16 additional indoor spaces in the near future. The property also has a building that housed a small cafe since the 60's that's available.

  If you have any interest selling your locally grown produce, meats, dairy, bakery, or garden oriented products, at a permanent market, please contact me Mike McCamish at 417 224-5691, or drive by and I'll show you what we're trying to do. 

  We want to create a place where everyone can get together with the common goal of raising our own food, learning to prepare and preserve our own food, swapping produce with other gardeners, or selling your excess produce. The possibilities are endless with so many newly interested gardeners.

Views: 673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How very exciting! It will be just around he corner from me. Count me in as a frequent:)
Its very close to us, also as I drive by ever day it would be convient for us. I am interested in set up fees, commitments of time and space for vendors. Will it be set up and run like the C Street Market or more like the Battlefield Mall Market? As a private owned and operated FM it will need to make a profit and I would expect that it will be run differently that the other 2 markets in Springfield, as you have more information please pass it on through this Dissussion.
I lived in St. Louis for a time and shopped at Soulard's downtown. (For a bit of levity, see my post to the Chicken Coop group regarding the renegade rooster, Jerry Steinfeld, that prowls the area around Soulard's.) What you are describing is that type of market - in some other cultures referred to as the Souk or Shuk... It is a wonderful shopping/bartering experience for everyone at all levels. A place to get a bite to eat or drink is also a great asset while shopping. It can expand to include other items for a 1-stop shopping experience for many Springfield customers such as items like vintage clothing, etc. Some of my fondest memories are of buying an item I saw 'blowing in the wind' on a hanger outside a booth at a souk somewhere in another world!!! It is a GREAT idea with ENORMOUS potential... Mimi
Very exciting! How will this be funded? Vendors rent booths? Would love to have more information! Thank you, Mike for seeking out such a fabulous opportunity! Please give more information when available.
I just wanted to post an update on the new permanent farmers market at 1835 E. St. Louis Street here in Springfield. We're excited about the responce and support we've recieved so far, your feed back is very,very important to us. We've been in business here on St. Louis Street since 1987 as Out Of The Woods Woodworking, so now we'll expand that to Out Of The Woods Farmers Market. We're thinking the market will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. The market season is quickly approaching, and we would like to be open by Sat. May 1st if possible. To get this thing started we're not going to ask for membership fees. 10' X 10' rental spaces will be available for morning sessions,afternoon sessions and all day sessions, ($10.00 per half day, $15.00 per all day). For opening day we need to book vendor spaces as far in advance as possible. Tell everyone you think might be interested, and again your feed back would be very much appreciated. You can contact me, Mike McCamish at cell. 224-5691, office 862-1034, or home 753-3776 or just come by and I'll show you the layout. Grow and evolve with us and let's make this market experience a success.
Mike, this is an exciting and bold development. It takes the farmers' market concept to a new level. When your kitchen facility comes online, can apartment dwellers schedule to can bulk produce (for the winter) bought right at the market? How cool would that be-
Also, I love the idea of a locavore restaurant right down the street from our Well-Fed office at Springfield Seed Company!
Mike,
How do you think the competition of the established Springfield Farmer's Market which is held in the lot of the Battlefield Mall will affect the new market? We considered taking a booth there at one time. I believe Spgfld needs a permanent market-I am familiar with the one in KC and it is hugely popular. Is there a plan for advertising the new location you are planning or will this thrive by word of mouth alone? I am very interested to hear how you view the significant differences in the current farmer's market and the one you are planning-I am interested in the possibility of becoming a vendor but am concerned that there would need to be a tremendous amount of publicity to draw current market shoppers to the new market. Next time I am up in Spgfld will give you a shout and drop by to see it!
I wish you and the market every success!!!

Mike L. McCamish said:
I just wanted to post an update on the new permanent farmers market at 1835 E. St. Louis Street here in Springfield. We're excited about the responce and support we've recieved so far, your feed back is very,very important to us. We've been in business here on St. Louis Street since 1987 as Out Of The Woods Woodworking, so now we'll expand that to Out Of The Woods Farmers Market. We're thinking the market will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. The market season is quickly approaching, and we would like to be open by Sat. May 1st if possible. To get this thing started we're not going to ask for membership fees. 10' X 10' rental spaces will be available for morning sessions,afternoon sessions and all day sessions, ($10.00 per half day, $15.00 per all day). For opening day we need to book vendor spaces as far in advance as possible. Tell everyone you think might be interested, and again your feed back would be very much appreciated. You can contact me, Mike McCamish at cell. 224-5691, office 862-1034, or home 753-3776 or just come by and I'll show you the layout. Grow and evolve with us and let's make this market experience a success.
Lori, please do drop by when your in town. Call me at 224-5691. This thing is taking off faster that we expected, so we're working as fast as we can. We're working on a marketing sceme right now, word of mouth is the best source,but it's not fast enough. We want to be a complement to the other markets, not competition. We plan to list all other markets in the area on our lot.

Lori Trojan said:
Mike,
How do you think the competition of the established Springfield Farmer's Market which is held in the lot of the Battlefield Mall will affect the new market? We considered taking a booth there at one time. I believe Spgfld needs a permanent market-I am familiar with the one in KC and it is hugely popular. Is there a plan for advertising the new location you are planning or will this thrive by word of mouth alone? I am very interested to hear how you view the significant differences in the current farmer's market and the one you are planning-I am interested in the possibility of becoming a vendor but am concerned that there would need to be a tremendous amount of publicity to draw current market shoppers to the new market. Next time I am up in Spgfld will give you a shout and drop by to see it!
I wish you and the market every success!!!

Mike L. McCamish said:
I just wanted to post an update on the new permanent farmers market at 1835 E. St. Louis Street here in Springfield. We're excited about the responce and support we've recieved so far, your feed back is very,very important to us. We've been in business here on St. Louis Street since 1987 as Out Of The Woods Woodworking, so now we'll expand that to Out Of The Woods Farmers Market. We're thinking the market will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. The market season is quickly approaching, and we would like to be open by Sat. May 1st if possible. To get this thing started we're not going to ask for membership fees. 10' X 10' rental spaces will be available for morning sessions,afternoon sessions and all day sessions, ($10.00 per half day, $15.00 per all day). For opening day we need to book vendor spaces as far in advance as possible. Tell everyone you think might be interested, and again your feed back would be very much appreciated. You can contact me, Mike McCamish at cell. 224-5691, office 862-1034, or home 753-3776 or just come by and I'll show you the layout. Grow and evolve with us and let's make this market experience a success.
Mike L. McCamish said:
Lori, please do drop by when your in town. Call me at 224-5691. This thing is taking off faster that we expected, so we're working as fast as we can. We're working on a marketing sceme right now, word of mouth is the best source,but it's not fast enough. We want to be a complement to the other markets, not competition. We plan to list all other markets in the area on our lot.I think the most significant difference besides being permanent and full time is that we'll have indoor spaces available as well as outdoor spaces. We're working on a certified kitchen on location that will be available to the vendors and customers for things like canning, canning classes, baking, food and produce preparation, that can roll right back into the market. We also have a large court yard garden with water features and seating so you can enjoy a lunch or coffee or tea, occationally we'll have live music. The possibilities are endless. Basicly a place to sell local food, buy local food, eat, relax and enjoy yourself. I have so much more to tell you,call me or come by.

Lori Trojan said:
Mike,
How do you think the competition of the established Springfield Farmer's Market which is held in the lot of the Battlefield Mall will affect the new market? We considered taking a booth there at one time. I believe Spgfld needs a permanent market-I am familiar with the one in KC and it is hugely popular. Is there a plan for advertising the new location you are planning or will this thrive by word of mouth alone? I am very interested to hear how you view the significant differences in the current farmer's market and the one you are planning-I am interested in the possibility of becoming a vendor but am concerned that there would need to be a tremendous amount of publicity to draw current market shoppers to the new market. Next time I am up in Spgfld will give you a shout and drop by to see it!
I wish you and the market every success!!!

Mike L. McCamish said:
I just wanted to post an update on the new permanent farmers market at 1835 E. St. Louis Street here in Springfield. We're excited about the responce and support we've recieved so far, your feed back is very,very important to us. We've been in business here on St. Louis Street since 1987 as Out Of The Woods Woodworking, so now we'll expand that to Out Of The Woods Farmers Market. We're thinking the market will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. The market season is quickly approaching, and we would like to be open by Sat. May 1st if possible. To get this thing started we're not going to ask for membership fees. 10' X 10' rental spaces will be available for morning sessions,afternoon sessions and all day sessions, ($10.00 per half day, $15.00 per all day). For opening day we need to book vendor spaces as far in advance as possible. Tell everyone you think might be interested, and again your feed back would be very much appreciated. You can contact me, Mike McCamish at cell. 224-5691, office 862-1034, or home 753-3776 or just come by and I'll show you the layout. Grow and evolve with us and let's make this market experience a success.
The most wonderful farmers market that I have ever had the privlidge to go to was in Olympia wash. They had perminent indor vendors and seasonal out door vendors, great fresh meals and served from nice clean vendors as well as wonderful seasonal fresh foods. they had boxes set up arround the site for recycling everything from paper plates to garbage and everyone complyed by scraping their plates and seperating as needed. They had fresh meats and seafood as well. It sounds like you might be one up with the kitchen set up. I hope it all goes well for you.. Olympia also had great entertainment as well. I remember that I was so impressed with that FM that I snapped several photos of some beautiful and strange things.
hay mike how your project advancing, I like to come and see your prospective market place. is any time better than other?abdo 618 967 3449
Mike,
Will you need any help setting up for/organizing this location? I am a Dietetic Intern at Cox College and would love to get volunteer hours helping you get this off of the ground. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance!
ams36526@coxcollege.edu
Thanks,
Alison

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ThePopp.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service